Strictly no recruiters
Role: Financial Controller
Reporting to: Lawrence Dudley – Director
Supported by: Andy Mellor – Portfolio Finance Director
Location: Leeds (Flexible Hybrid Remote Working)
Parallax is a digital transformation company with innovation at its core. We solve complex problems and build leading digital products for local and national SMEs, international clients and blue-chip corporations.
We take ideas and transform them into opportunities, using cutting-edge user experience design, technical innovation and our passion for digital excellence. We don’t shy away from projects that seem too out of reach, unachievable or even impossible. We welcome the challenge and deliver the success.
We’re always challenging the norm and understand the risks of the latest and greatest and know how to deliver large digital projects at the forefront of technical possibility with a balanced approach to risk mitigation. Our clients trust us to deliver a transformative user experience married with technical excellence across a broad range of projects and industry sectors.
Our team features some of the most talented minds in the industry. We work hard to stay on top of the newest innovations and always strive to be the very best at what we do.
About the role
Parallax is growing and as a result, requires a dedicated finance resource to partner with the business as we grow and scale. This is a newly created role offering the opportunity to lead and shape the finance function in a business at the forefront of digital consultancy. Based in Leeds (with flexible hybrid working) this is a career-defining opportunity, to gain breadth and depth of experience and responsibility within an exciting, scaling business.
You will be a partner to the senior leadership team to deliver real commercial value in developing and driving performance KPIs in the business, including project profitability, providing insight into current performance and foresight about cash flow and forecasts.
You will report to one of the directors of the business and be mentored and supported by an experienced portfolio finance director that works with the business on a part-time basis.
Having full responsibility for the finance function, you will manage the day-to-day finances of the business including production of monthly management accounts, KPI reporting and analysis, debtor management, balance sheet reconciliations, payroll, VAT returns & HMRC payments, budgeting & forecasting and cash flow analysis. You’ll also be designing and implementing appropriate levels of internal processes and controls to protect the business as we grow.
As well as the more traditional finance roles you will assist the team with more commercial analysis of potential projects and strategic commercial opportunities. You will be working with some of the greatest minds in tech development and, by definition, have access to the latest software products for automation and productivity.
You’ll be a qualified accountant, with a good breadth of experience in finance, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and interface confidently with non-finance teams. You’re on a trajectory to Finance Director and will gain some amazing experience in this role.
You’re commercially astute, are happy to challenge and can see beyond the numbers.
You should be looking to progress your career and potentially build a small team, you love to learn new things and are not scared to ask for help if you don’t know the answer.
Key Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Qualified to CIMA / ACCA / ACA level or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in industry
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience in managing day-to-day finances
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to communicate financial information to non-financial teams
- Self-motivated, organised and take a hands-on approach
We’ve created a warm, welcoming & caring environment where everyone is challenged yet supported in their roles. We don’t pretend to know everything and are always open to good ideas – you really can make a difference here.
- Hybrid Flexible Remote Working – Not a morning person? Not a problem. Work also needs to work for you, which is why we offer flexible start times and the opportunity to work remotely
- Top-tier healthcare – There’s nothing more important. We offer free top tier Bupa Healthcare to everyone who works with us because health is something that shouldn’t be compromised.
- Mental wellbeing – We don’t just offer mental health care, we encourage it & ensure our staff are well supported. We make sure a number of our staff are mental health first aid trained – we always put health first, it’s a Parallax priority.
- Top-notch technology – We all love a Nokia 3310, but there’s a time and a place. To create great things, you’ve got to be backed by great technology. In the office or remote, we’ll make sure you’re equipped to create!
- Equality, diversity & inclusivity committee – We actively encourage our employees to help us shape the way we work and grow.
- Social butterflies – What can we say… we’re a social bunch. Team lunches, beers on a Friday, team events and the odd office Mario Kart battle, we’re always up for a social! We have a social committee who are always looking for new ideas and fun things we can do as a team
- Opportunity to grow – A personalised progression route is clear from day dot. We host bi-weekly 1:1s, paid training days and quarterly hack days so, the sky’s the limit.
- Company Bonus Scheme – Your contributions won’t go unnoticed and everyone shares in the profits pot equally, with no one missing out when we hit the company targets
- 2 streaming services on us – whether you’re a Netflix binge-watcher or Spotify music maestro, we’ll cover the cost of these each month
- Matched pension – you pay into it, and we match your contribution on top of your normal salary
- Great working conditions with a relaxed and fun atmosphere
- Forward-thinking company with a positive attitude and outlook
- The chance to have a tangible effect on how the company progresses and grows
- Running, bouldering, 5-a-side, bake-off, lino printing – It all goes on here!
- Xbox One, WiiU, Switch