Laravel PHP Developer
Parallax are a digital innovation agency. We build advanced products and applications using the latest technology to improve businesses all over the world.
Location: Leeds or Portsmouth, 1-2 days/week in the office
Salary: £35,000 – £50,000
What this role isn’t: Rock up at 9am on the dot, throw together another WordPress site as quickly and as cheaply as possible, FTP it straight to production with no tests and hope it’ll be alright on the day.
OK, so what is it then?
We believe in doing things properly. We want you to as well.
While Parallax is definitely an agency, we don’t do a lot of “agency” work. Sure, there’s some websites in the mix of what we produce but the breadth of software that we develop as a team in IoT, Healthcare and Mobility are really exciting. They’re genuinely cutting edge.
What’s Parallax all about?
Two of our Directors work every day as part of the development team. They’re hands-on. We do regular hack-days, we provide accredited training and we place a big focus on professional development.
We use source control, automated testing and we firmly believe in doing things the right way.
We do things properly. Pick your own computer with the spec you need and we’ll buy it. Choose which software to use and we’ll pay for the licenses you need.
We’re one of the front-runners in the agency/tech world and one of the Top 50 Digital Agencies in the North for four years running, with a significant proportion of our team AWS Certified, recognised leaders in technologies such as Serverless and a breadth of experience in exciting emerging sectors such as IoT.
A bit about you:
We’re the kind of company that work with people, not CVs. If you’re not totally up to speed with every one of the following, don’t worry – we’re good at seeing potential in people and if you’ve got the right attitude for the job and a passion for enhancing and expanding your skills, we want to work with you.
Things we’d really like you to have or be good at:
- Good level of core PHP ability
- Experience working within a PHP MVC framework, ideally with Laravel or another similar framework such as Symfony
- Grasp of performance budgets (or at least what might make code fast/slow)
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs
- Understanding of and ability to apply core SOLID concepts of OOP programming
- MySQL knowledge, basic schema design, indices
Bonus points for:
- Laravel 8 experience
- Experience writing unit tests and test driven development
- Experience writing RESTful APIs
- CSS/SASS knowledge
- An understanding of containers
- Bupa Select – top tier healthcare
- Flexible working hours
- Partial remote working with options for full remote work
- You spec it, we’ll buy it equipment
- Matched pension – you pay into it, we match your contribution on top of your normal salary
- Opportunity to grow and time to develop new skills
- Great working conditions with a relaxed and fun atmosphere
- Forward thinking company with a positive attitude
- The chance to have a tangible effect on how the company grows
- Company socials & events (when we’re allowed!)
Also, pick two streaming services on us.